External Links: Why do I Need to Use Internal and External Links for My Content?
Few people remember him today, but the acclaimed German goldsmith Johannes Gutenberg pushed the button to launch the information age in which we find ourselves today. In this post, we are looking for answers, and sometimes the best way to find them is by taking a tour of evolution. Who was going to tell this master of the printing press that the movable type he created around 1450 would unleash an entire information technology industry?
And here we are, wondering what internal and external links are for in IT content.
“Information technology and business are becoming inextricably intertwined. I don’t think anyone can speak meaningfully about one thing without talking about the other,” Bill Gates.
What are internal and external links?
Speaking of links, hyperlinks come to mind, because it really is about that. Hyperlinks that, once we click on them, direct us to another page. And this is where the history of internal and external linking changes. If the landing page to which the link directs us is within the same domain, we are talking about an internal link. If, on the contrary, we find links that direct us to a page outside our domain, then we will be facing an external link.
As we can see, the main difference between the two is in the domain, that is, what humanizes the network and the unique name of your website. However, what is its function within the content? What criteria should we take into account when including them? How can they benefit our website? We keep asking questions and we keep providing answers to your uncertainties.
What are the internal and external links that we include in the content of the IT sector for?
Let’s go by parts. First, we are going to talk about internal links and then we will show you everything corresponding to external links. At the end of this section you will be able to make a comparison between both elements and understand them in a fast, simple and effective way.
It is actually one of the least optimized factors in SEO OnPage. There are many websites where these elements are neglected when, in fact, they are essential to our page. These are some of its functions:
- Expand the information: Thanks to its inclusion in the posts, we invite the reader user to expand the information in the article by improving the quality of our blog and its usability.
- Thanks to them you can take advantage of and include articles that you have written a long time ago and serve as a reminder to users, as well as improve understanding of the subject.
- They help Google to crawl the website, because we are leading the way in some way and Google will detect that it is something important and will index it better.
- Google will better interpret what each URL is about thanks to the anchor texts, which are the part of the link where we click to move to the new site.
The authority of the pages will be channeled in a better way to be able to position any of them if we wish.
We have no doubt that including internal links to our site is a good option, but in the same way, linking our articles with other websites is also recommended. The reasons are explained below:
They open new paths: External links help us to improve our relations, because if the pages to which you have been linked from your blog detect the mention, they will probably enter our site and link it at some point.
- They expand the information: Like the internal links, we will be giving the possibility of completing the information, expanding it and thus increasing the quality of our content.
- They make your site a more valuable place, as we will be creating a way to tell our users to go to other interesting content.
- Despite the importance of internal and external links in the content we generate, this does not imply that they have to be included excessively.
- The inclusion of links helps to position the SEO of technological websites.
Links are used with a clear objective: to establish relationships between two resources. However, it does not always have to be linked to other web pages, but it is also possible to do so to images and files. By adopting an SEO stance, links allow us to make Google understand that this is something important to us. In addition, they enable you to find new published content. They are an effective way to improve web positioning by linking to other content, both from our domain and from others.
To carry out the inclusion of links, it is essential to have a clear objective in mind and not choose it randomly. “A good strategy should draw a network of links between different contents of the same website to facilitate the work of search engines and, thanks to this, improve their positioning.”
In conclusion, I will tell you that it is a mistake to think that by linking only to your website you will be able to stay with all the strength and stand out from the rest.